Preparing Your Vehicle for Shipping
Posted: September 9, 2015
Follow these important steps whether shipping your car, truck, RV or motorcycle. Make sure that your vehicle is operable and safe.
Be sure that your vehicle is clean and empty. A vehicle shipping inspection will be performed at both the origin and destination. You, or your auto transport representative, must be present at both times to confirm and sign the bill of lading and condition report.
In order to perform a quality inspection, clean your car inside and out so that existing scratches and blemishes can be noted; disconnect all alarm systems.
Federal law prohibits the shipment of plants, hazardous materials, and firearms.
We require the following to safely load and unload your vehicle:
- One set of ALL keys for the vehicle;
- No less than ¼-tank of gas, but no more than a ½-tank;
- At least four inches (4") of ground clearance;
- Driver's side door and window in proper working condition;
- Battery secure in the mounting bracket;
- Working brakes, and emergency brake if manual transmission;
- No fluid leaks as damage caused will result in additional charges; and
- Please let us know of any modifications made to your vehicle, such as 4x4 lift kits, lowered suspensions, camper tops, and so on.
Remove the following:
- All antennas, unless they can be fully retracted;
- Unmounted radios, CD or cassette decks, and car phones;
- Garage door openers, gate openers, and toll tag passes;
- Personal belongings, with the exception of standard vehicle items, such as a jack and spare tire;
- All non-permanent luggage, bike, and ski racks; and
- All exterior spare tire, grill, and car covers.
Be sure that your vehicle is ready for its new home.
Prepare your vehicle for the weather and climate in its destination. This may include anything from engine coolant to snow tires. A licensed mechanic will be able to tell you more.
Sims, Waters & Associates is licensed and bonded. We've been serving our customers since 1987. Our staff has over a hundred years of combined experience in the international freight shipping industry. Our prices are industry leading. Get a quick quote now.